An Stelle eines Vorwortes...

Samstag, 4. August 2018

Bushings for a Kids Skateboard / How to cut bushings for a skateboard

Since my little son is always using my longboard to have some fun .... I had to act in selfe defense ... and buy him one of his own!


The problem - How to buy a board suitable for a 4yrs old, 20kg weighing kid!?
The solution - you can't!

You need to buy a board and make it suitable!


I decided for a Solid Eye Kid Longboard in green.




It is a good sized board with 82cm length, sturdy trucks and good rolls, but my little 4yrs old couldn't steer it! The bushings are much to hard to enable a 20 kg kid to bring some tilde in the hangers!  




The manufacturer was not able to state any information regarding the bushings at any web site at the internet. (at least I was not able to find any) and my simple customer question at Amazons: "what degree of hardness have the bushings?", didn't got any replies so far!

So, I bought the softest bushings I could find at the internet - barrel 62,5A and cone 60A .


HOORAY TO RIPTIDE!!!! The only company at this planet to sell such!


Unfortunately the geometry of these didn't fit the king pin of the trucks. The bolt is bit shorter than of a grown ups longboard. I had to make the bushings thinner by 2 mm.




For anyone, who is riddled with the question: "How do I cut a bushing for a longboard?" 

It's not easy, but it can be done. I use a carpet knife with a straight blade. Carpet knifes have the thinnest and sharpest blades that I know of.




1) Take the original bushing (the shorter one) and place it on a hard underground (table)
2) Put the carpet knife blade on top of the bushing and place the bushing to cut next to it.
3) "rotate" the second bushing so, that the tip of the knife cuts a thin and exact cutting groove in it.



4) now that you've a cutting groove, you can cut the bushing carefully, as if you would cut a slice from a sausage! Carefull! Take you'r time and don't press the bushing to hard. It will deform and the cut won't go straight... 

5) if the blade won't move through the material, apply a bit of salat oil  ;) 

Happy cutting! 



Keine Kommentare: